SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
When you give to the Y, you’re doing your part to strengthen our community—and a strong community is good for everyone. Whether you’re helping a child in need attend summer camp, giving someone the assistance they need to make a healthy change in their life, or contributing to the construction of a new Y facility, your gift will let us continue to affect positive change in our region.
Did you know that no one is ever turned away from the Y due to inability to pay? This special promise means that every child and family will have an opportunity to participate in the Y regardless of their household or personal income. This remarkable commitment by the Y is made possible by the generous contributions of our members and friends who, like you, believe in the Y’s ability to help strengthen the lives of kids and families in our community. The first Y in the United States opened on December 29, 1851, in Boston, Massachusetts. Since its inception, the Y has offered physical, educational and spiritual opportunities for both children and adults.
YOU MAKE THE Y POSSIBLE
As the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening communities, the Y relies on the support of neighbors like you to enable us to fulfill our commitments. Contributions can be recurring or one-time, and made online, in-person at the Welcome Center of your nearby branch, or through an employer match program. Cash, check, and bank/credit card drafts are accepted. Interested in being a program or one-time event Sponsor or Partner? Contact the Branch Director at a branch near you.
Checks should be made payable to Berkshire Family YMCA and mailed to: Berkshire Family YMCA, 292 North St., Pittsfield MA 01201 (Please indicate where you would like your gift to be applied.)
ONLINE CONTRIBUTIONS CAN BE MADE TO:
If you are experiencing any difficulties, contact the Branch Director at a branch near you.
About the Annual Campaign
The true power of the Y is in the hearts and actions of every neighbor who believes in our vision of a stronger community for all. Thanks to the generosity of our members, volunteers, and donors, we are able to make a transformational impact. Your donation to our Annual Campaign allows the Y to offer scholarships for members and programs participants of our three year-round facilities in Pittsfield (MA), Northern Berkshire (MA), and Bennington (VT) so that no one is turned away.
Y experiences help children develop valuable skills, gain confidence, and build self-esteem. Each of these programs help young people develop important values such as honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring, which serve as the foundation from which good decisions can be made for the rest of their lives.
Our goal is to provide financial assistance to kids and families from our community so they can experience the positive values and sense of belonging made possible by the Y, and we need your help to achieve it. Each year, BFYMCA provides more than $300,000 in financial assistance to families in the community. Your gift does more than help kids get involved-it serves as a call to action to others who recognize your devotion and commitment to the Y’s mission:
- A child become comfortable in the water, overcome their fears and could save a life.
- A single mom have peace-of-mind knowing her child is building character and life skills through youth sports and the Y’s core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- A senior enhance connections, decrease a sense of isolation, and improve overall well-being.
- A family reconnect after trauma has forced them apart.
- Send a child to summer camp where he or she will make friends and memories that will last a lifetime.
This is a powerful statement on behalf of the Y and one I hope you can take advantage of. Our Annual Support Campaign, For a Better Us, is one way to do so.
About the Full of Possibilities Capital Campaign Pittsfield Branch
Thank you for your support!
Funding Commitments & Donations $150,000+:
- Children’s Investment Fund
- City of Pittsfield CPA Fund
- Commonwealth of MA Historic Tax Credits & Funding Earmark
- Donald C McGraw Foundation
- Feigenbaum Foundation
- The Jane & Jack Fitzpatrick Trust
As of November 2021
THE NEED TO MODERNIZE
Built in 1909, our building at 292 North Street has served Pittsfield well and without pause for more than a century. The historic structure is a downtown fixture-- both architecturally and as a health and recreation facility-- but generations of continuous heavy use have taken their toll on the original building and the 1980s expansion. Fortunately, the building is structurally sound and able to be modernized to 21st century standards. The Y is committed to downtown Pittsfield’s revitalization by providing a key anchor of activity seven days a week throughout the year.
“Being a single mom, I didn’t know how I was going to do this. You have taught my kids so much, and I just wanted to thank you.” - Jenny, Y Parent
Currently, the Y is the largest licensed, full-time, year-round child care program in Berkshire County. There is strong demand for child care, and each year we have long waiting lists, particularly for infant and toddler spots, as families appreciate our schedule (open from 6:30am-5:30pm) and high-quality care. We are rated a Level 2 in the Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) that assesses the quality of early education programs. The modernization we have planned will bring us up to a Level 4.
Expanding early education is important, as we know that when parents lack reliable child care, they miss an average of 8 days of work each year. A lack of quality child care correlates with decreased worker productivity, which has a negative impact on familial economic stability.
Improved facilities provide us with the tools to fulfill our mission. The Full of Possibilities project will position the Y to serve more people effectively and efficiently. Here’s how:
CHILD CARE RENOVATION
- Child care renovation will significantly increase the quality and size of the YMCA’s nationally accredited child development program. It will increase available slots from 70 to 95. Features include a new multi-purpose room, a STEAM (Science, Technology, Arts and Math) room, a staff break room, plus open play space to develop gross motor skills. High-quality, durable materials and a bright, inspiring theme will be used throughout.
REGULATION BASKETBALL COURT
- A regulation basketball court will be installed to support the Y’s thriving basketball program. The court will also provide space for group exercise classes, programs for older adults, and youth programs. Youth programs cultivate the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and educational achievement.
INDOOR WALKING/RUNNING TRACK
- An indoor walking/running track for year-round use will be added above the basketball court to offer flat, smooth-surfaced exercise options in a monitored, climate-controlled setting. The Y will be the only facility in central Berkshire County with an indoor walking/running track, which encourages movement year-round.
STRUCTURAL AND FACADE IMPROVEMENTS
- Structural and façade improvements will bring vibrancy to North Street. Drafty and bricked up windows will be replaced with energy efficient glass to let natural daylight in. Failing mortar joints will be repointed at the façades on North and Melville Streets. LED lighting, and an energyefficient heating and cooling system will conserve energy.
In sum, Full of Possibilities will make the YMCA more energy efficient, increase the number of child care slots, modernize health and wellness facilities, and conserve an important part of our city’s architectural landscape and history. It will also have a long-term positive impact on Y membership and bring more people, more often, to downtown Pittsfield.
- 25 more high-quality child care slots
- Job creation
- 200 quality local jobs in the trades during construction
- 4 Child Care and 3 Human Service positions after construction
- A facility ready to meet 21st century health, wellness, and fitness needs for all
- Increased capacity and efficiency
- A stronger anchor to downtown Pittsfield
- A major point of community pride
Thank you to our Corporate, Foundation, and Government Pledges to Date (in alpha order):
Adams Community Bank
Amelia Peabody Foundation
City of Pittsfield's American Rescue Plan Act Funds
Children's Investment Fund
City of Pittsfield's Community Preservation Act
Commonwealth of MA Funding Earmark
Community Reinvestment Fund (CRF)
Donald C McGraw Foundation
Dulye Family Foundation
Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund
Financial Development Agency
Greylock Federal Credit Union
Guardian Life Insurance
Jane & Jack Fitzpatrick Trust
Commonwealth of MA Historic Tax Credits
Pittsfield Cooperative Bank
Rotary Club of Pittsfield
Smith, Watson & Company, LLP
Special thank you to our individual donors!
HOW CAN I HELP?
All contributions to the Berkshire Family YMCA a 501(c)(3) charitable organization are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
WAYS OF GIVING
- Cash Gifts (In-Person, Mail, Online, Multi-Year Pledge)
- Gifts of Securities and Security Transfers
- Matching Gifts
- Memorials and Tributes
- Bequests, Annuities and Remainder Trusts